Keeping a backup of current working condition of your Android phone is always a must if you play around with your phone. QMobile Noir A8 has the MT6577 chipset running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 and thankfully there are some easy ways to dump the current running ROM and save it just in case the phone gets bricked or does not boot.
The ROM backup that you will obtain can be flashed any time using SP Flash Tool and your phone will be restored to the condition in which it was when you dumped the ROM. Since rooting is must before dumping ROM, if you flash it again you will still have root.
Please note that you need root permissions to perform the dumping procedure. So don’t try it if your phone is not rooted! Also make sure you have enough space on SD Card as this will store the backup to “backup_v2” folder on SD card. Credit for the script goes to linerty.
Steps to Backup ROM Of Noir A8
- Download this file and extract. You will get a folder “gscript”. In that you will find another folder “bin“, and two files: “back_mt6577_a4_v2c.sh” and “GScriptLite.apk”.
- Copy the folder entire folder “gscript” to root of your sdcard and using any file manager and install GScriptLite.apk
- Open Gscript Lite application from app drawer. Tap options – > Add script. Check “needs su?”. Tap “load file” button and select “back_mt6577_a4_v2c.sh” and then “Save”.
- As a precaution, set the display timeout of phone to 5/10 minutes from settings/display.
- Run the script. It will take some time and store the backup to folder “backup_v2” on SD card. Copy and place this in your PC!
In that folder, you will get 15 items. 12 files and 3 folders. Some of the files will be system.img, boot.img, data.img, recovery.img, uboot.img, preloader.img etc. If you have already flashed the CWM recovery then it will save the cwm recovery. If you want stock recovery, head over to this post.
These can then be flashed via SP Flash Tool. Guide on flashing using SP Flash Tool is coming as well! If you encounter any errors, post below
PLEASE NOTE: Judging from the user reports, it seems SP Flash tool is not reliable and throws out errors for no real reason randomly. Sometimes it can get difficult to flash a file using SP Flash tool.
Good news is, this backup script also makes a nandroid backup which can be flashed via CWM recovery. The nandroid backup is stored in BDRS-xxxxxx sub-folder present in backup_v2 folder. Just place the nandroid backup (folder with filename as date and time) on sdcard in this order: /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/yournandroidbackup
Open CWM recovery, go to backups and restore->restore and choose this backup.