Flashing open source custom recoveries to MediaTek phones seems to be a common problem. The process is simple, but often people get confused and end up damaging their devices.
To make it hassle-free, I’ve created a script which will automatically flash any recovery like ClockworkMod (CWM) to any MediaTek (MTK) phone including MT657 and MT6577 chipsets. QMobile Noir A6, Noir A8 and Noir A10 can also be flashed.
This doesn’t require SP Flash Tool or Mobileuncle tools and is very helpful. You can flash CWM even from stock recovery! Helpful in cases when your phone is bricked and you have the CWM backup, but not CWM recovery. Also handy in situations when SP Flash Tool is showing errors like:
BROM ERROR: S_FT_NEED_DOWNLOAD_ALL_FAIL (4050)
Steps to Flash CWM Recovery to QMobile Noir Series / Any MTK Phone:
- Download the script from here and extract. You will get a folder flashrecovery_labandroid.com with three CWM recoveries pre-included—Noir A10, Noir A8 and Noir A6. Rename the one meant for your phone to recovery.img.
- If your phone is not bricked, set it to USB Debugging mode from Developer Options and connect to computer. OR
- If it’s bricked and not turning on, open it in recovery mode. Try volume up + power button. OR
- Press and hold volume up + volume down + power at the same time for a while when you see this screen: http://i.imgur.com/v4x8i.jpg.
- Press volume up once and instantly press home soft touch button. You will get into recovery.
- Run the script file flashit.bat and restart phone into recovery mode after it’s done.
If it doesn’t get flashed, you don’t have the proper USB ADB drivers installed. For MT6577 ADB drivers, follow this link. It can also mean you don’t have root permissions. This script may not work if you are not rooted!
To brick other MTK phones, try to find a CWM backup of its ROM.